If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Thursday, September 2, 2010

How I Coupon

 I've been couponing ever since I first married more than 30 years ago.  Couponing success and lots of great deals can be dependent on the stores available to shop at.  When I lived in CA, the big stores like Vons and Ralphs and Food Basket doubled coupons up to $1 and there were no limits.  I've read about so many great deals at CVS and Rite Aid and Publix and Kroger - but they are not in my town so I have to be content with 2 Superwalmarts, Walgreens and 2 smaller grocery stores. 

But wherever you live,  if your coupons are not organized and with you when  you when you shop, they won't save you any money.
I've used a big binder in the past to organize my coupons but currently, I like this little purse sized organizer.  It is made by the Container Store but I got it at a yard sale in a box of miscellaneous junk marked $1 for the lot. 
 My catagories - these are what make sense to me - you will probably sort yours differently
wet staples - any food items that come in jars or bottles
dry staples - boxed and bagged staples
dairy - cheese, milk butter, eggs
frozen and meat
beverages
oral care - toothpaste, floss,
hair
makeup - I never buy makeup unless it is on sale and I have a coupon
health - soap, razors, vitamins, OTC medicines
cleaners - laundry, dish soap, any kind of cleaning product
wraps - this is any paper or plastic product
misc.  - this is where I put baby, pet care, batteries

I know some people say they don't use coupons because coupons are just for junk food.   I don't buy a lot of junk food either.  Half of my dividers are for food items and the other half are nonfood.  I would guess that I use a lot more nonfood coupons than food coupons but that is where I save money.  And if I spend almost nothing on shampoo and laundry soap, then I have more left to spend on produce and good groceries. 
 These are my 2 tickets from the last day of August.  I had a number of coupons that expired so I did a short shopping trip to Walgreens and Walmart.  Most of the things I bought were personal care and household items.  And you probably can't read the tickets too well, but I save a lot that day. 
I don't have shopping trips like this every time.  But when I can get razors and laundry soap and toothpaste and dishwashing soap for pennies on the dollar, it really helps. 

My coupons sources - of course I save the ones in my Sunday paper.  My brother and my mom usually save theirs and I have a few friends that we occassionally mail coupons to each other. 
Sometimes I print internet coupons that I know I  will use. 
When there is a really good coupon that I want lots of,   I look on Ebay.  Coupon sellers usually have every coupon you could imagine and they are mostly  pretty cheap.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Rhonda, I enjoy having a simple system too. There are times I would rather not have to be bothered with using coupons, but they do make a difference in the grocery bill when used efficiently. I like your coupon holder, it's cheery with all the colored tabs. Can't beat $1 for it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I find that I generally save more $$ and use more coupons on non-food items than food items. I am blessed to have CVS and several grocery stores that doubles coupons so that really helps!

    Lately I haven't been able to purchase Sunday papers every week but a friend gives me her inserts when she's done with them and then I try to buy a paper or papers on the Sunday that the coupons are the most plentiful. I've been printing more that I know we will use; there have been a lot of good ones lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rhonda,
    I am like you you I use coupons mostly for non food items. We eat mostly fresh foods so there aren't too many coupons for that. I love your system. Miss Candi is wondering if Theo is staying cool.
    I love your system.
    Hugs,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rhonda. I love using coupons, and save lots of money with it. If I'm not careful they will take over my life though! Your system is really great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually quit couponing, for some odd reason. I think I got burned out. But with the price of everything now, I have started back up again. I really like your tabs on yours. I might need to re-do mine that would make more sense to myself too.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband really wants us to start using coupons, but I'm just not that organized. Maybe I will give your system a try! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coupons are a much bigger thing in the US than they are here in Britain. My daughters and I are keen on using them, but they're a lot more limited.
    Happy to say that yesterday I got my milk half price though, and a third off the yogurt.
    Much of the time coupons here are for premium price products I would not buy anyway - and even with coupons are more costly than regular brands.
    You seem to have a good system there tho 0- blessings x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐