If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Monday, May 30, 2011

Make Do and Mend Monday















 I made these patchwork potholders almost 2 years ago.
 You can read about them on my old blog if you are curious :)
I usually cook several times everyday and those once cute potholders were getting worn, you can even see the insulbrite batting poking out in  one corner.
I used the last of  my potholder batting for the pair of bird potholders yesterday. 
Make do and mend is about using what you have - and since the insides and back of the potholders are still serviceable,  I just made them over. 














 I like the robin fabric on the back and it was still in good shape so I found a scrap of heavy weight checked fabric.  I cut it a little larger than the potholders, turned under the edges to just fit on top and pinned them down to cover up the worn patchwork.














Then I just machine stitched around the edges to seal them up.
I tried out several of the decorative stitches my machine makes but I could of just used a regular straight stitch. 
Now, I have 4 more very useful potholders,  I think I spent just 30 minutes on this project. 


I used up 2 little spools of thread on this project. 
Can you see the original price was just 30 cents for a spool?
Thread costs at least 8 times that now.
I look for bags of thread at thrift stores and yard sales and have found some real bargains this way. 

thats my finger,  got that burn when I moved a pan of full of corn on the cob in boiling water to drain it.  The  pan was really full and the lid was not tight fitting and some the water splashed on my hand and the floor.  
I put it cool water right away and sprayed it with Bactine several times, and after the Bactine, it never hurt again. 

So, if you boil some fresh corn this summer,  use a potholder and a tight fitting lid. 


I hope you will join the Make do and mend party at Heidi's Cranberry Chronicle.   I think you will like seeing how another blogger posted about the cutest sewing basket that she lined with old blue jeans.
 http://thecranberrychronicle.blogspot.com/

11 comments:

  1. Waste not, want not may be an old adage but it's one I try to live by. Now I'm headed over to find that sewing basket. Thanks for pointing me there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute, cute potholders, I have some scrap material I've been trying to figure out what to do with it now I know, lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, after posting a loong one and it didn't post I tried the short one and it went!


    Glad your finger isn't bothering you.
    Those hurt.

    I always try to use my odd and threads when doing something not major. Thread has really went up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No money and big results...a perfect make do and mend!

    Hugs from Holland ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your poor finger! Yes, you need to use the potholders. Good job on the re-do. I love make do like that. I have some old thread too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OUCH on the burn! I am so sorry and hope your finger feels better today. Good job on the potholders!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rhonda,
    Oh my! I hate burns, but who amongst us has not gotten our share? I finally went to the long potholders that you put your hand into and they go almost to my wrist. I was always burning myself on my oven racks when putting things in or out of the oven.
    Interesting little party to join, I shall check it out next week. Your pot holders look very cute indeed!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the 'new' look of the blog...and please don't tell me I just haven't noticed and it's been this way for weeks, lol.

    Owie on the burn! Here's an interesting tip I used that proved to be shockingly good. Mustard. Plain old yellow mustard. It's the tumeric in it that soothes the burn and often prevents blistering.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your potholder re-do. I hope your burn is better! Burns are the worst. I'm always hitting the oven door or rack, even being careful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Rhonda,
    Ouch. That looks bad. I love all the mending. I have been doing a little myself. I have a new blog. Please stop by for a visit.
    http://elizabethquigley.blogspot.com/
    Hugs,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐