If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Lots of breakfast and lunch pockets

My daughter asked if we could make a bunch of pockets to stock their freezer for quick lunches and breakfasts for her family.  I like to cook and of course I said yes.
So Friday, I loaded up my bread machine with the bread part and just let each batch go through the kneading process.  Then I bagged up each batch of dough in a lightly oiled gallon zip bag and let them chil until we did the baking today.
You can make the dough just before you make the pockets but if the dough is able to chill and rest in the fridge for at least a few hours,  it rolls out so easy.

For the fillings- we made a double batch of the scrambled egg, sausage, potato and cheese ones.  Then with the last batch of dough,  half were filled with diced ham and grated cheddar and the other half were pepperoni, mozzarella and marinara sauce.

We made a total of 47 - each batch of dough makes 16 but I gave grand daughter Elizabeth one ball of dough to roll out.  She spent the whole time rolling out and adding flour to her one ball while we made the other 47.  I've tweaked the original Pinterest recipe a bit and here is how we like them
Breakfast and Lunch Pockets 
    Dough
  • 2 1/2 t yeast
  • 1/2 c warm water 
  • 3/4 C milk- heated in the microwave just to steaming
  • 1/2 c vegetable oil
  • 1/4 c sugar
  • 1 egg- well beaten
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 4 c flour
  • you can mix and knead the dough anyway you like but I like to put all the ingredients in my bread machine and let it knead it all to perfection.  
  • Filling
  • 1 lb breakfast sausage
  • 1 1/2 c frozen hashbrown potatoes
  • 7  well beaten 
  • 1 1/2 C cheddar cheese, shredded
  • Cook and crumble the sausage until brown and then drain, then add the hashbrowns and heat through,  Add the eggs, stirring the whole time until the eggs are set.  Add some salt and pepper now if you want.  Just when the eggs start to look cooked,  stir in the cheese. 
  • Set the filling aside while you move on to rolling out the dough. 
  1. Preheat oven to 350°.
  2. Punch down the dough and cut into 16 equal pieces.
  3. Roll each piece into 7 in circle on a floured surface. Top with 1/3 c filling in the center of each dough circle then fold the ends up, then sides up and then lay on your baking sheets with all the folds on the bottom. This seals in the filling and it is not neccessary to wet the edges or spend lots of time crimping either.  
  4.  No need to let rise again and Bake for 15-20 minutes or until brown.  
  5. To freeze:
  6. Allow to cool on the baking sheet. Once cooled, place in the freezer until frozen. Store in a zip bag in the freezer for 3-6 months. To reheat, place on a paper towel and microwave for 1 1/2-2 minutes.



18 comments:

  1. These look great. I have made something similar with pizza fillings. I also made some with ground beef, gravy and peas. My husband loved them. We even tried some dessert ones using canned pie filling I got at a great price....however I have never tried them with sausage. We are definitely going to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shara, thanks for the suggestions on different fillings. While we were making them, we were talking about other fillings. We think meatloaf and sloppy Joe and brisket with BBQ sauce would all be good too,
      We like them a lot and I think they will be regular freezer items for us,m

      Delete
  2. Wow those look good. Bread and I don't get along...I can make biscuits, but everything else taste gross.
    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jilly, this dough recipe really is easy to work with if you do decide to try some bread again, and I promise it won't taste gross :). You are funny.

      Delete
  3. These look really good! I've been wanting to make some for us for a while. After seeing your recipe and explanation from your kitchen, I'll be making some for the winter months. We have a trip to Billings planned for the end of this month, so I will definitely be stocking up on filling ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment. You and your guys will like them. I like that they use all basic ingredients that you can get anywhere too.

      Delete
  4. Yum! I'll will have to try these soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendi, they are good! I'll be baking some for our house this week with spicy sausage, we like spicier things than our daughter does.

      Delete
  5. I added potato to my breakfast pockets for the first time last month. My husband thought it was strange at first but liked it after tasting it. I like that it stretches the filling and cuts the taste of the egg which I am not a big fan of myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The potato does kind of stretch the filling but we like it. Hash browns are a normal breakfast food so I think it works. John said he had a sausage and gravy breakfast pocket from Schwans. He said it was not so good and I thought that gravy in a pocket was really a cheap filler. I have no plans to add gravy to mine.
      If you don't like eggs much, I think you could leave them out.
      Don't you raise chickens for their eggs? And you don't really like eggs? I never knew that about you Dawn, :)

      Delete
  6. Wow, what a time saver it will be for them in the morning. My husband would love these I do believe. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Elizabeth will be a cooker like her grandma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana, Elizabeth had a great time. She thinks she is always a helper anyway.
      Yes, your family would like these.

      Delete
  7. Yum. Haven't had breakfast yet and I want one of those sausage and egg ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have to go to my daughters house as they took all of them home, but I am going to make some spicy sausage ones for our house and for the young attorney. Come on over :)

      Delete
  8. Yum! I need to try your recipe. I have some leftover ham that needs to be used up...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to try this sometime / going to pin it so I actually remember to do it. These remind me of the pepperoni rolls my boys used to love so much though these are more complicated and substantial! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look delicious! I like that you can use so many different fillings. Being able to freeze them is another bonus! Nice and quick and natural ingredients. Will have to try this for sure!
    Stopping by from "The Gathering Spot Linky". Now following you on Bloglovin and Pinterest. Looking forward to reading more of your posts.
    Have a great day :)
    Bismah @
    Simple Mama

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been searching for a breakfast idea that my two picky eaters will enjoy - thank you for this great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐